It was 25 years ago today I started up the Data Warehouse, and it has been in style ever since.
The last anniversary (15 years) could published anywhere in the company's intranet, so I published it here. The reason - the IT-manager at that time did not like the Data Warehouse, so he told me the post was to offensive! At the time I was an employee (lead data and application corporate IT-architect). 2012 I handed over the DW to a team of brilliant IT workers, Camilla, Petter and Henrik. They have since long left for successful careers.
Since about 2020 I'm a contract maintainer of the Data Warehouse now 25 years old. I almost forgot about that, this is worth a blog post. How many DWs are 25 years old! Since the last anniversary not much have happened, the company put a ban on developing new apps, reports extracts in the DW, since the replacement was just around the corner and it still is, last month I was told we can close down the DW at the end of 2027. This time I think it is true and I hope so, I'm getting tired of maintaining, that is so not me. I'm not even good at maintaining.
Considering very little development have been done since 2013, the DW have stood the test of time remarkably well. The USP is extremely short time-to-market and very simple fast extraction of data from SAP. Not to mention the low cost, well until management started increase the costs. Last cost driver forced onto the DW was a move to the cloud.
Anyway the last 5 years, it seems management actually appreciate the DW, which makes me happy. Fifteen years ago I said I probably retire before the decommission of the DW, that was true. Ten years ago I said I probably die first, I really hope this is not true.
All things considered the DW is still in good shape and will die with the flag on top.
I consider the DW to be in one of my five best software creations.
No comments:
Post a Comment