2017-06-22

A small hack

“Hi can you help us? Everyone has gone home and we need the financial transactions for our new financial app, it is super many transactions. Is there any way we can get them to our Windows share with period number in the filename before tomorrow. We like to test the new app during the Midsummer.  Everyone is gone, you are the only one we could get hold of. Can you help? And yes we need the file to be tab separated.”

In Sweden we take Midsummer seriously, we basically close down the country to party. But this was just a five minute hack, so I promised to help out just for the hell of it. First a little detective work, where the f-k are the transactions after a short while I found them already being in a SQL table in the Data Warehouse, great! It’s just copy a job and adjust a bit. Five minutes later I could call back “You have your transactions in your WinShare.” “Thank you ever so much, you are fantastic!” Some times it is not easy to be humble, this is one of those times. I remember another midsummer when I was not so cocky.

Some years ago I rebuild the Linux system in the ETL server of the Data Warehouse on midsummer eve morning in an attempt to connect ODBC to Iseries DB2 systems. In the middle of this my siblings called me and told me they were waiting on me going out to the countryside. I stopped my rebuilding sure my tinkering could not possibly intervene with the normal operations of the ETL server. Of course it did, it killed all ETL jobs for the entire holiday. The guys responsible for the Data Warehouse had to work two days repair the damages, and they made me promise never to do ANYTHING  next midsummer eve or ever any midsummer eve after.


And now I just did it again! I hope noone ever finds out:) The job I just assembled and run:


No comments:

Post a Comment