2019-08-21

Rename Perl6 to Perly

As a complete outside spectator of The Perl6 naming disaster I have proposed a rename to PerlyGate to keep conotations to both old Perl and all the religious mumbo jumbo Perl developers are so fond of. But my suggestion seemed to go unnoticed, might be due to the fact this blog is not read by anyone.
But I give it another try. Why not PerlySix, which keeps the reference to Perl6 and at the same time is a new name separated from Perl. Or just Perly a new name keeping the reference to Perl. Both Perly and PerlySix avoids the version number confusion with Perl.

Do the rename of Perl6, and version update Perl to Perl 7, bumping over the unfortunate Perl 6.
Perly can keep the version number 6 or start from 1 both options sounds good to me. 

Update: As I understand Perl6 is now renamed to Raku. To me it sounds very 'pale', no flair whatsoever, but I'm not an native English speaker, so what do I know. Anyway it is the language that counts, not the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment